Sunday, June 29, 2008

Thursday June 26




Hi everyone,




I apologize for not having made posts for the last several days. We have been running long and hard the last 4 days. When we finally do get into our room at night, it is too late to start being creative, writing, posting pictures, etc.




However, I am writing this recap on Sunday night so I will try and touch on the highlights since last Thursday.




For Thursday June, 26 -




We rode into Oshkosh late in the day and got a room at a crummy Travelodge and made arrangements for a 6:30AM wake up call.
I did the route for the next day letting the GPS software auto-route the ride to Sioux Falls. While I was reviewing the route that the GPS created, I saw some nice secondary roads just south of I-90 so I re-routed as much of the ride as I could to these other roads. The result was that we were able to travel 170 miles on back roads through very scenic farm and ranch land, small towns and the crossing of the Mississippi River before getting onto I-90 for the remaining 300 miles to Sioux Falls.




Once we got onto I-90, it was real fast and kinda boring. We did run into a few drizzles on the way and I thought we would hit some rain so we pulled into a gas station and donned our rain- gear, as you can see in the picture. Of course, it never rained and we boiled in these suits for over an hour before stopping in Blue Earth, MN to take them off and cool down with a Dairy Queen ice creme cone. The Jolly Green Giant lives in Blue Earth and stands right next to the DQ we happened on.




We rolled into Sioux Falls about 6:00pm and checked into our room.




While we were checking in we met another couple, Joe and Jan who were riding a triked Goldwing, the same year as ours. We invited them to join us for dinner and we went to a closeby place where I had a nice fried chicken dinner. Joe and Jan had been on an extended ride out to California and were returning to their home in Minnesota. They were very nice and it was a nice break to have company for dinner.




We retired for the night and got back on the road early the next day, heading for the Badlands and Deadwood.
Pictures from today are posted here:


Dave and Karen

No comments: