Sunday, June 8, 2008

Good ride today


Total trip mileage is 3247.

Today's mileage is about 300.

Temp range was 82-91 and high humidity.


I rode from the bottom of the state in a zig zag route going northeast then northwest and repeat and repeat. The goal was to enjoy some of the windy, twisty roads going through the Ouchita and Ozark National Forests. Most of the terrain was farm land but through rolling hills with lots of nice riding roads. Western Arkansas is very green, lush and heavily treed.


I passed through many small towns, some of which had only 100-200 population. These small towns and others slightly larger seem to be dying out. Many of the store fronts are vacant with many, many business no longer in operation.


A brunch stop in Mena had me smiling for a long time after leaving that town. I wanted breakfast but the waitress sorta talked me into a BBQ pork sandwich. Instead of the usual red BBQ sauce typically used, this one was made with a mustard base. Sounds weird but it was delicious. Plus the waitress was a real hoot and very friendly. Nice little town.
This morning I overslept and didn't get on the road until 9:00 so tomorrow, I have a 6:00AM wake up call. I want to get an earlier start due to the heat and also because I am headed towards Nashville. I don't think I can make it in a day from here but I will get close. I will not be taking any more interstates from here on out, at least if I can help it.
One last thing, I am averaging 44.36 miles per gallon and the average cost per gallon, so far is $4.03.
Take care,
Dave


5 comments:

Sandee said...

Hi Dave, It's really fun to see what you are up to every day. You are very descriptive! Too bad about the small towns dying out, but then I remember Tucson in the early 80's and how it has grown here. We are at $3.70/gallon as of this afternoon. It goes up daily though and I'm sure you are experiencing that in your travels. Can't wait to hear about Nashville. Say hi to Elvis :) Take good care of yourself - Lots of love, Sandee

biff said...

Good blogging Dave,
Sad to hear about the small towns, but you are in the heart of Wal-Mart country. I think you should go back and get the recipe for the mustard bbq sauce!!! Sounds good!
Nashville, your heading toward Opryland, the Country Music Hall of Fame....the Ryman Aud.
Safe riding....
biff

Anonymous said...

Hey Pops,

The links to both yesterday and today's pics on picassa aren't working for me...may just be an issue with the "end-user", which would be me, but I thought you should know in case its not just happening to me.

Looking forward to seeing the pics:)

Love Ya!

Shan

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave- Photo link isn't working for me either... internal error message. MPG is terrific. Gas is $4.26 in Seattle. IMO

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, enjoy that hot weather down there. They are talking 16" of snow in the passes here for today!! Is this February?

Darin