Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 3 - Bryce Canyon and much more




Total trip mileage is 1498.
Today's total miles were about 340
Highest elevation was 9600 + feet
Temperature range was from 51 to 91 degrees

The picture on top is me standing at Rainbow Point in Bryce Canyon at over 9100 feet elevation. The other photo was taken in Capitol Reef NP.

Most of the mileage today was north/south with just a bit of east. Tomorrow I will start heading east by making my way to Colorado and riding the Million Dollar Highway down to Durango. From there I will angle down and east to the night's destination, Taos.

I could write many paragraphs about the ride today but in a nutshell - WOW!!! I cannot put into words the scenery my eyes saw today. It is indescrible and the only way to truly capture the beauty of this area is to see it for yourself. Adding to this is the fact that the roads are made for motorcycle riding. I couldn't decide if I should go fast to enjoy the curves and twists of the roads or to slow down and drink in the awesome geology and colors of the buttes, canyons and moutains. Between the roads and the scenery, it is heaven on earth, especially for a motorcyclist.
You need to get down here. Fly, drive, ride your motorcycle but just get down here. If you've been to Bryce and the other National Parks in the area, you know what I am talking about.
I will be loading all the photos to Picassa and will post the address when they are done loading.
Best wishes,
Dave

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're a great writer, I love reading your posts!

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics. Clare and I wish you well and hope tomorrow's discoveries are even more amazing than today's!

Be Safe, Love you Lots-

Shan

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Wow, Wow. I am happy you are having so much fun and also that you are posting and sending photos. You are a lucky guy. Take Care, David, and Be Safe. Look forward to more posts. Sugarplum

Greywolf said...

Great adventure. We rode Bryce in July 2 years ago and it was awesome. Keep up the poss and we can ride with you vicariously.

Greywolf and NanaSher,

Karen Steckler said...

WOW is right! I think we may have to alter our trip coming home and repeat riding through Bryce Canyon. Enjoy and travel safe.

I love you,
K

biff said...

Could you make sure your helmet cam is on? I'm getting your GPS signal, but the live streaming from your iphone is fuzzy. Is it hard wired or bluetooth?
Just kidding....!

The pics are great,looking forward to Colorado!
biff

Anonymous said...

Not a bad idea biff! Dad, if i jig together a wireless helmet cam with gps tied to google maps and connected via world phone, will you pick it up in N.C? That would be sweet.

Amazing pics! Ride safely. Take your time. You can go fast with Mom.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Glad you are riding safe and having a great adventure. Findley already missed his G'pa, but I show him your picture nightly. Take lots of pictures and be safe.

Love you!

Rori

Unknown said...

Hi Dave
Be sure to check out the Old Taos Inn, Doc Martin's bar! We had a great time there last summer with Tim

consider taking the "high road" from Taos to Santa Fe. cool ride.

barb

Sandee said...

Wow seems to be the word of the day. It sounds like you are enjoying an incredible journey. please don't drive fast with Karen though :) can't wait to see more pics. please ride safe and take care. Is there a way you can check for the weather ahead of you? We are getting hard, fast, hot wind here! sending you love from Tucson! Sandee