Friday, June 6, 2008

June 5 - Cold to Hot


Total trip mileage - 2177

Total mileage for this day 352

Temp range 38 - 90 degrees


Hi everyone,


I waited until 11:00AM to depart Chama and it worked out real well. I rode south towards Santa Fe and encountered snow a few times above 7700 feet. Below that level, it was rain and some hail. After I descended below about 6500 feet, it actuall dried out and the road was quite nice going into the desert.


My goal was to get to a warmer place. It was snowing and raining in the mountains so I decided to head far south. Since I couldn't commune with nature in the moutains, I decided to chase aliens in the desert, so off to Roswell!
I lunched in Santa Fe where it was cold and windy. After my repast, I programmed the GPS to get me off the freeway and onto some backroads down to Roswell. It worked pretty well in that I took SR 3 which meandered through a small valley along a river the name of which I cannot remember. Then the road took a sharp right turn and snaked up the side of a canyon and I was on top of a plateau. The road from this point was straight but narrow. The wind was very bad.
I then had to get back on the interstate for the remainder of the trip through the desert. The wind was very, very bad.
I arrived in Roswell about 6:30PM and found a room then had dinner at Applebee's. Roswell is much larger than I would have ever imagined. The town has all the restaurants and hotels/motels you could ever need. I did not see any aliens as I was alseep before it was dark.
The weather was hot and I was happy.
Take care,
Dave

No comments: