Saturday, June 7, 2008

91/91 - TX, OK, AL


That means it is 91 degrees with 91% humidity!

Total trip mileage is 2900.
Total for this day, about 300.

After drinking my Americano, I packed the bike and got out of Wichita Falls just before 9:00AM and headed east again. My goal was to slow the pace down, have a shorter distance day, stop more and take more pictures. The pictures from today are posted here: http://picasaweb.google.com/daveste99/20080607June7

I rode east until I got near Gainsville where I stopped at the Waffel Inn for some breakfast. It was like I walked into a time warp. It is a small place with about 12-15 tables. People were looking at me. Everyone was smoking including a waitress behind the counter. I got coffee right away but the waitress took her sweet time getting to me as did the food. It's definitely a locals place because everybody knew everybody. Food was good and I left.

I stopped in Henrietta to snap a few pics and took off. I stopped in Nacona where they claim to be the leather capital of the world or some such thing. I guess is you know cowboy boots, Nacona boots are popular.

I stopped for gas in Hugo, OK and there was a parade going through town. I asked a local what the parade was for but I couldn't understand what he was saying. I did hear the word "homecoming" but I know there was more to it than that. They were throwing candy from the fire trucks for the kids. I ran fast and had to knock a couple of 'em out of the way to get my share! After the parade passed, I took off and headed over the north end of Hugo Lake. I was on a long bridge and there was no place to take a photo. It looked to be a good size lake but all I saw was swamp land.

North Texas and South Oklahoma are similiar in that most everything is centered around farming and ranching. In Texas, I saw many Thourough Breed and Quarter Horse ranches replete with large farm style homes and beautiful pasture lands. After I crossed into Oklahoma I saw signs at driveway entrances for "Show Pig" ranch... go figure. There are a lot of Turkey Vultures all over this area but I haven't seen any Confederate Flags, yet.

Anyway, I am safely ensconced in a small motel in DeQueen, AR.

Keep the comments coming and I will try and keep up my end with more pictures.

Take care,
Dave

5 comments:

Sandee said...

Hi Dave, It sounds like you are enjoying your adventures and I'm glad you are enjoying it so much. Your descriptions crack me up about the small-town people. It's wierd to know that we share the same country with so many different types of people - fascinating and interesting. I love meeting people - its nice to hear everyone has been friendly. Can't wait to hear more. Sending you hugs and love, Sandee

biff said...

Good pace Dave,
I like the coffee shop story. I once went into a truck stop in Golden Colorado, where I'd never been before, and the waitress told to get out before she called the cops!! She mistook me for someone else who'd caused some trouble the night before. But I know the feeling you must have had with all eyes on you the stranger in town. Usually people warm up it just takes them a while....
Small towns and farms are sure interesting to see. This is a big country and it sounds great hearing your first hand accounts and reactions..

biff
as you probably know by know Big Brown didn't win the Belmont, too bad.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, I've been lurking and checking out your adventures every couple of days. What an experience! Thanks for taking the time to post. 91/91 -- too hot for this guy. Hope you're not melting in your gear! Rick B.

Anonymous said...

Hey Daddy,

Ha! If you want to see confederate flags go down to Ocean Shores for the 4th of July! A couple of years ago Clare and I went down there for the weekend over the 4th and ended up staying in our room the whole time. We actually ended up leaving a day early too. The beach was COVERED in pick-up trucks with confederate flags at full staff off the ends of the truck-beds. I kidd you NOT! Scary scary stuff. Anyways, glad to hear that you got some candy at the parade, and a good meal in your belly.

I spent the day with Mom today, she did my brutal shoulder work out with me and then the other kids came over for dinner. Fin and I spent quite a bit of time learning how to say "Tree", he's almost got it - god, he's really smart! Mom made a great dinner which ended with homemade carrot cake...soooo yummy. Marley seems to be doing good, her and Mom are "bonding" but it's clear that they both miss you very much. As do I, of course. Anyways, heading to bed now, I love you and look forward to reading your updates tomorrow.

Stay safe, and know we all miss you very much.

XOXO - Shan

Anonymous said...

Good Day,
Dave!
Thanks for stopping in for gasoline in my 'small town' "Hugo, Oklahoma; America!
We appreciate the visit & purchase.

Really, you should have joined that great looking Goldwing with the rest of the bikes to our annual Homecoming fire truck parade. Generally there are many fire & rescue units from two or three states. We like to honour our nations local heros.

Go with God, Dave!
May the Lord Jesus bless U and keep you & family thru highways & hedges. (Luke 14:23 Holy Bible).
The First Baptist Church - Hugo
LarryH.