Monday, June 2, 2008

Monday - Day 2


Total mileage for the first 2 days is 1118.

I left Mtn. Home, ID this morning at 6:30AM after a good night's sleep. It was clear and sunny when I left town but soon I ran into dense ground fog that really slowed me down and hampered my visibility quite a bit. However, it didn't last long and after crossing the Snake River several times, I eventually crossed the state line, about 3 hours after starting out.

Southeast Idaho is barren! There is nothing there except lots of cattle and I did see some real cowboys herding cattle.

Riding through Ogden and Salt Lake was tedious. Lots of freeway construction and traffic. Once I cleared that it wasn't bad but I was itching to get off the freeway.

After nearly 1000 miles on the Interstate I was able to get onto back roads at Nephi, UT. I headed east then south and meandered through ranch and hill country. It was a much nicer pace and there was no traffic to contend with.

The roads I selected worked out real well because I ended up right at the entrance to Bryce Canyon National Park. I was not able to get a room there and had to ride about 8 miles east to a very small town called Tropic. I lucked out and got one of the last rooms in town.

Tomorrow, I am riding back to Bryce Canyon and will go into the park to explore and take pictures. I rode by the outskirts of the park on the way to Tropic and I couldn't believe the rock formations that I saw! I can't wait to get into Bryce and other parks to see these amazing formations.

It will be a much shorter day tomorrow as the roads around here are clogged with tourists, motorhomes, buses, etc. I do not know where I will end up tomororw night but I am not going to wait so long to get a room at the end of the day.

I'll post again when I can.

Dave

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daddy,

I can't wait to see the pics of the canyon...sounds amazing. Glad to hear you were able to grab the last room in town, hopefully you'll have the same luck tomorrow. Have a safe journey tomorrow :)

Love you lots!

Shanny

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,
Thinking of you tonight and wishing I could be there with you exploring Bryce Canyon. Take lots of pictures and be sure to stop enough to take it all in.
Travel Safe!
Love,
K

Allan's Blog said...

Dave,
Wow 1000 miles already. you'll be here tommorrow at that rate!

Sounds like the trip is going well.

Looking forward to the pics and to seeing you.
allan

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

Places to stay in the midwest can be a bit scarce during the summer months. I hope you brought your sleeping bag! :-)

Darin

biff said...

Sounds great Dave. You are inspiring. I have the atlas out and looking at Bryce Canyon. I'm trying to interest the family in a driving trip maybe to So. Utah and Colorado.
Hope you have good weather, seems like you picked the right time of year.
Looking forward to your posts.
biff

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
Don't you have a current picture? something newer than 2004 in Hyder, AK?

Keep the wheels down, and I'm looking forward to the next update.
Geno

Anonymous said...

Go pops!@

Findley says "LKAjdsoin"

Neil-in-Arizona said...

Dave,

I am jealous, but not of the heat and humidity. I've ridden too many times in the Plains States to want to do it again. I see that you enjoyed the Four corners sights as I said you would. I can never get enough of that area.

Stay safe!

Neil