Monday, June 9, 2008

Make up your own title for this day




The picture of the deer is on road 16 eastbound. The other is the Ozark National forrest.
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to name this day, “Sows ear/silk purse”, but 2/3 of the way through the day I changed my mind and decided that really it “Was One Helluva Day” but in reality, it is a day of platitudes.

As planned, I received my 6:00AM wake-up call and when I looked out the window saw that it had rained during the night. At the time, it was not raining so I packed up the bike and set out under an ever-darkening sky; and I mean dark. Within minutes I was in the midst of a deluge, a real “gully-washer”, as they say. It was extremely dark and I couldn’t see with my visor down and I couldn’t really see with my visor up but the latter was the lesser of the two evils. I managed to get 5 miles from the motel and had to pull into a covered bank drive-through. The streets were already flooded and it was dumping hard. I didn’t know what to do. I had ridden right into this storm and the way I had routed out of town was in the middle of this mess. It’s only 7:30 in the morning and I stand around for a while longer until it somewhat tapers off. By now it a steady rain and it’s light enough to see. I program the GPS to take me back to the motel. I figured that I could dry out there, wait for the weather to, hopefully, get better and put
a new plan in place.

I made it back to the motel and grabbed another cup of coffee and a doughnut and asked for a key to my room as I had left the original in the room when I departed, not planning on returning. I was dismayed at being sent back to the barn and was restless to figure out a plan and hit the road. It started raining hard again so I covered the bike once more and grabbed the map. I decided that I would need to head south to get out this the storm line. After awhile, I repacked the soaking wet bike cover, and myself, and hopped on the freeway to Ft. Smith, 50 miles to the south. After about 20 miles, it stopped raining and the road was mostly dry. I continued on south and then took I-40 East towards Little Rock, AR. I figured I would just stay on the freeway and try and make as much distance to the east towards Memphis and beyond to Nashville. However, it was not to be. As I approached Russellville, I saw on the GPS a road that I had originally routed just to the north of where I was. I was not enjoying the freeway and decided to take a detour. You should be saying “oh, oh” to yourself right now. I rode about 30 miles north on Highway 7 into the Ozark National Forrest. My plan was to turn east on road 16. Road 16 turned out to be a very challenging and fun road except that it took me a couple of hours to complete it. Then I had to turn south and ride 30 miles to I-40, again. The good news is that it was dry the entire time. By now it’s mid-afternoon and I decide I need to make tracks to at least Memphis for the night. Now you should be saying to yourself, “well as least he’ll be safer on the freeway”. NOT!

I-40 is trucker hell! The freeway is 2 lanes filled with every type of truck imaginable and all they want to do is pass each other. In the meantime, I am trying to avoid getting squished, squashed, mashed or otherwise mutilated. It’s a “tough row to hoe”, as they say. In the midst of all this a trucker accident occurred so I am sitting on the freeway, in full gear, in 90 degree heat surrounded by 18 wheelers, in a 2 mile backup. I finally clear all that and ride on until I need gas. I pull off at Palestine to a BP but they don’t have any gas. I have to ride to the other side of the freeway, to a trucker stop and gas up there. I drink a lot of water and Powerade. My mind and body are trashed. My hands hurt and my arms are weak. I rest briefly telling myself that I have to get to the other side of Memphis, then I’ll start looking for tonight’s lodging. I pull into East Memphis at about 6:30PM after having ridden about 440 miles for the day. About 125 of those miles were north/south miles.
As I write this, the TV is running a banner at the bottom of the screen showing severe weather warnings for numerous counties in Tennessee, Arkansas and Alabama.

Of note today was one road sign that read “Fork Lick Rd.” I see so many funny signs but I can’t remember them with all of the other things I am thinking about all day. Also of note is the fact that I crossed over the Mississippi River upon entering Tennessee. I only got a glimpse of it as I was on a huge bridge while crossing the river.

There is so much more that I could say but suffice it to say “this day was filled with many challenges”.
Rule – stay off the interstates while riding a motorcycle across the country.
Rule – Don’t stay at Day’ Inn, they suck!
I don’t know what I am doing tomorrow. I’ll let you know when I figure it out.

Take care,
Dave
P.S. It is 9:45PM and a massive thunderstorm has just hit my location. Quite a show!

6 comments:

Sandee said...

Hi Dave - I was concerned about the weather because there are warnings all across the mid-West. Just be careful like you have been. The news hear just said something about the floods around there. Hopefully they will end soon. I'm glad you are figuring out what to avoid. It's all a learning experience, right? And I'm sure the good times will make up for the crappy ones. Can't wait to read tomorrow's adventures. You should turn this into a book! Ride safe. Love you, Sandee

Anonymous said...

Hey Daddy,

You should hang in Memphis for a day or two and go see Graceland...its very psychadelic and I found it to also be quite educational - but then again, I knew nothing about "The King" in the first place. Ask the front desk person about watching the ducks and having breakfast at a fancy hotel near downtown ... I can't remember the name but the ducks are very cool - they put on a duck show in the hotel lobby that is strangely amusing (I'm not kidding) - and the hotel has the best breakfast.

Please just be safe and take your time ... probably best not to ride in the storm and just wait it out if possible. I love you, travel safe Daddy.

XOXO - Shan

biff said...

Hi Dave,
Sounds like a frustrating day to say the least. But I guess once in a while a bad day has to balance out all those good ones. Glad to hear you're safe.
Some of the pictures on the news yesterday of the flooding in Indiana and Wisconsin were incredible. The hotel with the ducks that Shannon is talking about in Memphis, is called the Peabody,( I've never been there, but Charlotte has.) I don't know much about Memphis, but I bet Graceland would be a hoot.
Watch out for those big dark clouds, and those 18 wheelers.... It ain't the heat, it's the humidity.
biff

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I know you put that picture of the goldwing guy and the little girl on the back up for Findley. I will show him, that when he gets a little older, he can be your sidekick (by older I mean 18!) Miss you lots, glad you are having such great adventures.

Karen Steckler said...

Hi D,
2 more days - YEAH! I've got to say that while I'm wildly excited about seeing you and taking part in the next leg of this adventure, I sure hope there is a big break in the weather! Remember how we use to "pray for surf", well its time to start praying for some great weather!
Stay safe and I'll see you soon.
Love,
K

Unknown said...

Hi Dave
Just checking and no entry for yesterday, June 10, so hoping no news is good news
Have a good ride today.
It is supposed to cool off here today, down to 90 from 100, and staying that way through the weekend.

Give us a call in the evening if you can...

Love, barb and allan