Friday, June 6, 2008

June 6 - Hot to Hotter


Total trip mileage is 2579
Today' mileage is 409.
Temp range was 67 - 95

Hi Everyone,

I went down to Roswell to get away from the storms in Oklahoma and Texas. Since I had traveled so far south yesterday, I decided I needed to make some serious easterly mileage to get me closer to my destination.

Therefore, I decided to head to Wichita Falls, TX and spend the night there. It was a long hot day but I arrived and secured a room by about 5:00PM.

There is not much to say about the ride today as it was very straight and flat. Not much variation on that theme, at all. However, I did ride through many small towns that were quaint in their own way. Most of the towns had populations under 1,000 and when I had an occasion to talk with the local folks, they were all very nice and friendly.

I did make some observations on this long segment that I would like to share with you:
The soil in West Texas is red.
98% of the vehicles are pick-up trucks - duh!
98% of the pick-up trucks are white.
98% of the pick-up trucks are either Chevy or Ford.
The Brazos river in Sherman runs red. It looks like a river of blood.
Wichita Falls is a big city.
When the running is straight and flat my mind wanders quite a bit since riding in this manner is mostly automatic. Just keep the speed constant and the wheels on the road.
Tomorrow, I am going to try for a short day and stay in Arkansas. I plan on spending a couple of days riding the Ozark Mountains. I will try real hard to take more pictures and get them up on Picassa.
Take care,
Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey David- Thanks for your posts and the interesting narratives. Sorry to hear that the weather hasn't been more cooperative, but I can imagine the challenges of maintaining a sense of sanity in face of the obstacles. Keep the rubber down, drink lots of liquids, and stay away from tornados. Say hi to Toto in Kansas.

IMO (David)