Thursday, July 3, 2008

Monday June 30 and Tuesday July 1




Hi everyone,




MONDAY


On Monday morning we left Billings by about 7:30AM and rode a straight line on I-90 headed to Coeur d'Alene. There was some pretty scenery on the way but it goes by quick at 80-MPH. Not much else to report on this leg of the trip.




We did stop in Wallace, ID and had a huckleberry shake and that was quite good. It was hot there, over 90, so it was a refreshing break. There is store in town that has a load of old coin operated games like pinball, some old slot machines, etc. Some date back to the 40's, If you're into any of that, it's a good place to stop.




We ended this day in Coeur d'Alene at 502 miles. It was hot but we gained an hour's time when we crossed the state line and into Pacific Daylight Time. That gave some extra time to relax before heading to dinner.






TUESDAY


On Tuesday we left town at 7:00AM to beat the heat we might encounter in Eastern Washington. After nearly 100 miles we stopped in Ritzville for breakfast at Perkins. We gassed up headed out to cross the Palouse.




For the last couple of days I was thinking that I really did not want to end the ride going all the way home on I-90 but there didn't seem to be a lot of variation to choose from. While we were riding I was looking at the GPS and saw Hwy 281 headed north into the town of Quincy.




That road would take us to Wenatchee and then onto Hwy 2, Stevens Pass. At least this way I could get one more twisty road before ending the trip.


With all of the riding I have done in Eastern Washington, I had never been through the town of Quincy. In the middle of town the hwy changes to 28 headed north to Wenatchee. It was a real nice road up to Rock Island Dam. Through east Wenatchee then onto Hwy 2 and up and over the pass.
As it turned out, it wasn't all that hot and by the time we got over the pass into western Washinton, it was very comfortable.




We made it a priority to stop at the hospital to visit Geneo and Heide before we pulled into our garage, ending our exciting and adventurous ride around the USA.
Read my last blog for this trip, EPILOGUE. I'll include my final thoughts about the trip and include some statistics about gas, mileages, etc.
Take care,
Dave and Karen








3 comments:

biff said...

Glad you're both home safe. What a great trip!
thanks, for all the pics and stories!!

Greywolf said...

What a trip!!! Can I go the next time? This is the second trip around he USA that I have followed vicariously. The other was when a firemen from Mass. did the four corners of the USA and I met them at the Keystone ferry terminal to complete the trek to the Blaine, Wa. to get confirmation. Ask me sometime and I will give yor he amazing details of there and the charity they were rding for.

Tim said...

Glad to hear you're home. While not a trip of your epic proportions, I just finished a month of dual sport riding.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Tim